Thursday, July 17, 2014

Standardized Computer Exams

Today our class observed varying levels of a standardized computer exam. The exam was a simulation that may very well  be adopted in the public educational system in the years to come. I took the 12th grade math exam and I realized that I had a lot of trouble with the calculator function as well as some other website interfaces. I also did not like the fact that I had to answer each question before moving on to another (no mark and review button). Not having the ability to move on to another problem and come back was very frustrating.

To play devils advocate I have to say this exam parallels many exams such as the MCAT, DAT, PCAT etc. I have taken the MCAT and I have to say the most challenging aspect of it had to be adapting to a computer exam. My whole life revolved around paper exams and I was very used to this method. Practicing for the MCAT was a huge transition because it was computer based and I wish had some experience and practice with a computer based exam, or two during the course of my academic career.

I will note that some exams such as the LSAT are paper based and those who aspire to be lawyers do not have to face the road block of learning a new test taking skill. However, those who wish to be doctors, pharmacists, and dentists need to be exposed and educated with the DO's and DON'TS of computer based assessments.

Although the computer based assessment we took in class had many kinks and lead to frustration I feel that with some more research it could be a useful tool for students who wish to venture into specific professional fields. The change has happened. MCAT, PCAT, DAT, and other exams are computer based. Students my age who take these exams who never took computer based exams prior may not be comfortable with them. Preparing students for the exams that they may take in the future that are computer based early on may be very beneficial. Creating a computer based standardized exam is very tricky and needs to be carefully constructed and it is imperative that the writers of such exams acknowledge the various factors that may influence a students performance when taking such exams.



4 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah!

    I have to say that I really enjoyed reading your post! I too am the kind of guy that grew up completely on paper-based standardized exams. It kind of breaks my heart that we are moving into computerized forms so quickly, while expecting our students to perform equally well. When I was studying for the GRE, I did all of my studying on paper with a book and a pencil. I figured that the computer based test would be basically the same, but man what I wrong! I just kept feeling flustered the whole time, despite the fact that I had even taken two computer practice exams. The only thing that I wonder is: what is the experience like for those who don't know any different? Is it as bad for them?

    Rye ales and open windows,

    Elliot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara! Not Sarah! I'm like the worst or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOAH! Sara you really made a great point in this post! I appreciate how you brought up how professional examinations are all done on computers. I did not think of how practice with standardized testing on computers at an earlier age might affect that. With this in mind, what are some of the ways that computer based testing at an earlier age might be beneficial? By having some positive points to the Smarter Balance, you are really making a full analysis. I also wonder how my experience of taking all paper tests until the GRE hindered my performance? What would be the implications if we allow younger students to make a choice to what kind of test they can take, computer based or paper? Thanks for opening my eyes Sara!

    -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your synopsis of how test creators should make effective computer-based standardized tests: "Creating a computer based standardized exam is very tricky and needs to be carefully constructed and it is imperative that the writers of such exams acknowledge the various factors that may influence a students performance when taking such exams."

    I am personally skeptical that such tests will be carefully constructed because they are created without the proper input from educators and students. Also, I don't really think that teachers should be evaluated so much on student standardized tests. As I've seen in my own life, teachers are so much more than communicators of content knowledge that can be regurgitated on standardized tests. Hopefully, teacher evaluation policies will adapt to a more teacher-friendly format.

    ReplyDelete