Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Blendspace, Google Doc, Evernote- for students or teachers?

Constructing our own handout on how to utilize a certain program was very challenging. I was assigned Google doc, a program I have used for many years. When I use Google doc it is almost second nature and I never would have considered how complicated using the program would be for someone encountering it for the first time until I had to create a handout with instructions. I wrote as much detail as I could with the page limit and as tedious as I felt it was to have "obvious steps" included I realized that those steps were crucial in building knowledge around the site. I feel that although my handout was useful going through it on a laptop step by step was very important and useful but, maybe that's just because of my "learn by doing" personality.

*Oh I learned something new from Rory while doing my presentation..you can export already made powerpoints into Google Presentation. Amazing.

During college Google doc was my go to site for group projects and I feel all students should have experience with it because of it's collaborative nature. It is evident that Google doc works with teachers as well (our class).

Having Evernote explained to me kinddaa made me wish I knew about it before the program. It would have certainly kept me more organized. I really liked the autosave function...I sometimes type things in Google email drafts so that I have my stuff backed up online in case I need to retrieve it later when I don't have my computer. I asked why the elephant was the logo and one of my group members pointed out that elephants never forget...if that was the reason all I have to say is, "crafty Evernote creators..crafty".  I feel Evernote can also be used as an extra tool for teacher and students who wish to have their material accessible online. I will say that for individuals who already have their "method" like me..it is harder to adopt.


Blendspace...oh my friend. Having someone show me BlendSpace made me feel like I have spent my life with blindfolds on and that specific individual removed them for me..only to uncover and show me a mound of gold. The site is INCREDIBLE. I love it because it is sooo teacher friendly. The smooth interface and it's wide functionality (quizzes, stats, Youtube, upload files) had me amazed. I will definitely use this website to help me monitor my class. Someone in my group mentioned that it could also be used as a project for students because students can create a lesson. That was a really novel idea and one that I would have never probably thought about.


=


4 comments:

  1. I too had Google Drive as the program I had to present on.I think I it is going to be extremely helpful in the future as a teacher. My mentor teacher at Scarlett uses it all the time. One of the best ways he uses it is to have students turn in their home work. So you could have students turn in a worksheet you created on Google Drive or an essay they had to write. Google Drive is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good experience presenting about Google Drive and learning about Evernote and Blendspace! I had a similar experience to you, particularly with being impressed with Blendspace. I think that it is a site that I can definitely utilize in the classroom, and students can use it as well. In my opinion, Evernote is more useful for personal matters, although I'm sure teachers could find a way to use it for their purposes. As for Google Drive (which I also presented about), it seems to me that Google Drive will become a necessary part of my classroom in this internet world we live in. It's interesting seeing the 8th graders at Scarlett already know how to use Google Drive. I do have a question though: how can we as future teachers acquire knowledge about the latest cool technological advances that can help us in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara,
    I really enjoy how enthusiastic you are about Blendspace at the end of your post. Your sincere joy makes me more excited about it! My favorite thing about this assignment is how we can have our students use these tools to help them with their studies and organize their lives. I love the idea that you wrote about where students can create their own lesson plan on Blendspace. It is very easy to use and even easier to explain to other's how to use it. I find this to be a major draw for its use in education. I wonder if there are other ways in which our student's can use Blendspace to create lessons and learn?

    -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara,
    I've been using Google Docs/Drive in my teaching for several years and it has been a huge help. Check out the Flubaroo Add-on in Google Forms: self-grading quizzes!! Absolutely mind-blowing.

    ReplyDelete