Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Flipped Classrom on EDUBLOG


"Flipped Classroom" by Jon Bergmann

Link:

http://www.edutopia.org/blog/take-students-deeper-flipped-learning-jon-bergmann


I really enjoyed reading this blog because it discussed how classroom structure impacts the way students learn.  If you think about the way classrooms have been set up traditionally, they had a chalkboard in the front of the classroom. And then those chalkboards become white boards. Then, those white boards became overhead projectors, which then turned into LCD projectors that are hung on the ceiling. But really the classroom in all of those situations is a presentation station. It's not a center of learning. I really like the evidence that he mentioned about flipped classrooms saving time and space but I feel it may not work in all settings. In my feild placement the desks are is sets of two, they are essentially lab tables, that can move but if reshaped there would not be no room in the class to fit all the tables. 

The Flipped classroom is a transitional tool for educators to move away from being the center of attention in the classroom and move that attention onto students and onto the learning that's happening in those classrooms. Although I agree with this, it may not be possible for all classrooms to do this. I asked Jon to perhaps he could provide some advice to teachers who want to incorporate flipped learning in their classrooms when the have immobile desks? I notice that in our EDUC classes, especially our methods we have a flipped classroom set up and I feel it is very comfortable and prompts me to engage with my peers more. I wonder what advice Jon will give me (if any at all). 





4 comments:

  1. Sara, I like this edublogger post that you have highlighted. It reminds me of the times that we drew classroom setups in class during the summer semester. As someone who thinks that learning should be more student centered I couldn't agree more with the post. In my placement I wouldn't say that the classroom is particularly student centered due to the desks being in columns, however, the columns situate two students next to each other so there is some sense that students have at least a learning partner on a regular basis. What I mean when I say this is that where there is a will there is a way. Even if a classroom has to be more traditionally set up a teacher can milk it for what it is worth, and this would include the teacher tailoring teaching to fit activities that take advantage of the possibilities. It's that strategic implementation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    This topic actually came up when talking with my mentor teacher today. During our conversation we were talking about whether a flipped classroom could help with disciplinary issues that have been occurring frequently in our classroom. I discussed the "flipped" format with my mentor teacher stating how it could be more student focused which in turn could make students stop acting up if more attention was on them. She, like you, stated the classroom space as being the biggest limiting factor. Although our classroom desks can move, my mentor teacher was hesitant to do so because it was so non-traditional. She didn't out right say that was the reason, but it just makes me think how different this concept can be to teachers who are used to more traditional classrooms, and how risky it can be as well. I can see the hesitation in changing a classroom that you've had the same way for thirty years, which is the case for my mentor teacher, but I also believe that change can be good. Hopefully I can warm her up to the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara (and all), a fellow MACer left his job as a HS physics teacher a couple of years ago to make videos for flipped classrooms full-time. Jon Thomas-Palmer is doing some very creative work that you might enjoy checking out: http://www.flippingphysics.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, I should add that it was great to see that Jon Bergmann responded to you as well. That has to feel good to have gotten responses from both of the edubloggers to whom you responded...they obviously found compelling what you had to say.
    Your personal learning network starts to expand....

    ReplyDelete